The term, “reservation
realism”, used by Sherman Alexie in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in
Heaven can be defined in many ways. Alexie choses to leave the term undefined
in the introduction by saying, “Well, I’ll let you read the book and figure
that out for yourself” (xxi).
While doing
some research I came across this on a website (ipfw.edu): “Alexie’s statement
presents a contradictory definition that is reminiscent of Tim O’Brien’s
similarly contradictory attempt to define how to tell a true war story in the
Things They Carried. O’Brien’s definition similarly asserts that “a thing may
happen and be a total lie, another thing may not happen and be truer than the
truth” (Things They Carried 89). The difference, the narrator notes later, lies
in the fact that “story-truth is something truer than happening truth” (TTC
203). This really opened my eyes to what I think Alexie meant by “reservation
realism”. He means that something is not necessarily real just because it is
true. In fact, he means that something that is not true can be even more real
than something that is. What I am trying to say is that the kind of realism
Alexie is referring to is realism on a whole new level.
Indian
Education is one of the short stories from the book that shows what “reservation
realism” is. I did some research and found that what the narrator experienced
in school was a typical experience for Indians growing up. “In the 1960s, a
congressional report found that many teachers still saw their role as
civilizing American Indian students, not educating them. The report said the
schools still had a "major emphasis on discipline and punishment”
(npr.org). This report goes hand in hand with this quote from Alexie’s short
story: “Once, she [the
teacher] gave the class a spelling test but set me aside and gave me a test
designed for junior high students. When I spelled all the words right, she
crumpled up the paper and made me eat it. “You’ll learn respect,” she said”
(pg. 173).
Another
short story from the book that I feel really shows what Alexie means by “reservation
realism” is Family Portrait. There are many examples in this story that I perceive
as “reservation realism”. One example is, “For instance, in the summer of 1972
or 1973 or only in our minds, the reservation disappeared… Finally, I remember thinking, but I was six years old, or seven. I
don’t know for sure how old; I was Indian” (pg. 192). This is a good example because the narrator of
this story admits that he does not know if this even happened. It is considered
realism because it was real to the narrator which justifies it as real
to the story. Another example from this story is, “Will my children love me
when I’m old?” she [Mother] asked, but I knew she wanted to ask me, “Will I
regret my life?” (pg. 194). The realism behind the mother kicking her
son out into the snow because she thought he saw the future is that she wanted him to see the future so she
could know if she would regret her life later on.
My personal
definition of “reservation realism” is something like this: Reservation realism
is what a person gets out of a memory, a conversation, or a situation. It is
what the person considers “real”, what sticks with them afterward. For example,
it could have been something that was said that was never really said at all,
like on page 195. “My sister told me she could recognize me by the smell of my
clothes. She said she could close her eyes and pick me out of a crowd by just
the smell of my shirt. I knew she meant to say I love you.” Do you see what I mean? The sister never once said
that she loved her brother, but that is what he took from what she told him. “Reservation
realism” is a way to see past things like “small talk” and get the real(ism)
from it.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16516865
http://opus.ipfw.edu/english_facpres/58/
Brooke-
ReplyDeleteI think you're right on the mark here. Reservation "realism" may not be the exact truth of events on the reservation or in these Indians' lives, but it is how these events are perceived. It seems like it really doesn't matter what happens on the reservation, all that matters is how the past is remembered and the legacy it leaves. The stories Alexie tells in this book become "truth" -- even if the stories never really happened or didn't happen exactly as told. This is what I think "reservation realism" is. What do you think is the biggest memory of this book that may not have actually happened or was perhaps exaggerated?
Brook I loved your post! Your found research brought this whole theme to a new light. However, I can't say I fully agree with the narrator of "The Things They Carried" when it is said, "story-truth is truer than the happening truth". Happening truth is evident, it's right there in front of your face; just like science or a past life experience that you learned a lesson from (personal truth). Books can sometimes be "happening truth" but not everything in books is necessarily true either, so I guess you're left with stories, hence why Indians in "The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven" didn't have history books. History came from word of mouth of stories of the past that are semi-fictional playing as a metaphore or flat out non-fiction and is the total truth. Brooke, I agree with your definition of reservation realism though, that it is more personal truth than anything. Pointed towards Rusty's question, I think the short story "The Trial of Thomas Builds-The-Fire" was a bit exaggerated because of the time setting. It seems spiritual like Thomas was representing someone in the past in spirit, I don't know. Does anyone think is was actually Thomas Builds-The-Fire?
ReplyDeleteYou bring up a good point, Bianca. Happening truth is evident and right there in front of your face, but I suppose what the narrator of "The Things They Carried" is trying to say is that even if people know the true story of an event, the memory of the event is what matters the most, because it generates the most emotions. This is a random example, but I was watching the movie '300' the other day and found it funny how Xerxes is portrayed as a god-like emperor who is 8 feet tall. Was he actually 8 feet tall? Well, no, he was probably not even 6 feet tall. But the memory of him being 8 feet tall, this storied "realism" of his height is what people remember, and it helps to portray him as some larger-than-life figure. The same is true on the Spokane Reservation -- perhaps alcohol was not as big of a problem as Alexie made it out to be. Perhaps the story of Thomas Builds-The-Fire was exaggerated, but we don't know for sure. All we know is what Alexie writes, which is this 'reservation realism.'
ReplyDeleteIn essence, the story of Thomas Builds-the-Fire really becomes 'truth,' doesn't it? Because this is what is remembered...
ReplyDeleteBrooke, I really like your definition of reservation realism. Everyone will not agree on the same definition. It is more of what that person sees and how they can relate to it. It also ties into what Bianca was saying about the happening truth versus story truth. We don't know if these stories actually happened. We just assume that they did by the way Alexie talks about them. Thomas Builds-The-Fire is such an interesting character. He really plays a big role relating to reservation realism. Are the stories that he tells a happening truth or a story truth? He tells them in a story way but they could have easily happened. Rusty makes a good point saying that Thomas Builds-The-Fire was exaggerated and that he really becomes the "truth." He brings back memories that the characters try to forget. I feel his stories can be reservation realism because it is the way that he sees the events.
ReplyDeleteBianca, Rusty, and Shelby,
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, I hadn't even thought about Thomas Builds-the-Fire after I decided what I thought the definition of "reservation realism" was. Now that I look at it that way, "reservation realism" really does explain Thomas's character so much! His stories always had something about them that seem exaggerated or unbelievable in them, but if you read them with this definition of "reservation realism", you realize that Thomas wasn't that crazy, he was just putting it how he saw it. I really feel like I just had a mental breakthrough. Haha. Now it seems so obvious that that is why Thomas's stories seemed so unrealistic and out there.
All of this discussion of truth of history or truth of memory kinda takes me back to the story about James. Remember that great discussion we had about he ever actually talked. I think reservation realism might come into play here. When you think about it, does it really matter if he actually talked? I think yes and no. Yes becuase he himself would have to lead a very real life. But, what about the narrator? Does it matter to him? I don't think so. All that matters is that he remembers him talking and it changed his life. What happens doesn't matter. What those things cause and what those things mean to the people involved is what really matters. I have read O'Brien's "The Thing They Carried" and I think this is his point. It doesn't matter what really happened. What is real is the memory and it's effects.
ReplyDeleteDavid, that's a great point about James. It almost doesn't matter if he talked or not, because the importance of him talking (in the mind of the narrator) is what leaves us with an impression. Shelby, it seems to me that the stories Alexie tells are at least based on a happening truth, but told in a way that distorts that truth slightly to generate a story truth. In this sense, the reader is left with an impression different from what actually happened. What we think of the Spokane Indians and their lives is based completely on Alexie's book, right? In the introduction of the book, Alexie admits that the stories are "not really true. They are the vision of one individual looking at the lives of his family and his entire tribe...[I am] trying to make them true and real" (xxi).
ReplyDeleteAlexie's stories are admittedly "necessarily biased, incomplete, exaggerated, deluded and often just plain wrong" (xxi) in order to get a point across. This is 'reservation realism,' in my opinion.
ReplyDelete